UK Genealogy Archives logo

Sidlesham, Sussex

Historical Description

Sidlesham, a village and a parish in Sussex. The village stands near the head of Pagham harbour, and 3½ miles S of Chichester station on the L.B. & S.C.R. It has a post,. money order, and telegraph office under Chichester. The parish includes part of Almodington tithing, and comprises. 3960 acres; population, 920. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester; net value, £110 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Chichester. The church is Early English in style, and was restored in 1890. There is a Wesleyan chapel erected in 1878.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySussex 
Ecclesiastical parishSidlesham St. Mary 
HundredManhood 
Poor Law unionWest Hampnett 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Sidlesham from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Sidlesham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online:

DistrictChichester
CountyWest Sussex
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtPO20
Post TownChichester