Shipley, a village and a parish in Sussex. The village stands 3 miles from Southwater and West Grinstead stations on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 6 SSW of Horsham. It has a post and money order office under Horsham; telegraph office, Southwater railway station. The parish includes part of Southwater chapelry, and comprises 7778 acres; population of the civil parish, 1061; of the ecclesiastical, 958. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. The manor, with Knepp Castle, belongs to the Burrell family. An old castle, the seat of the Braose family, was here, but is reduced to a remnant of the keep. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester; net value, £160 with residence. The church is mainly Norman; has a central tower, and was restored in 1893. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a Friends' meeting-house.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shipley St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Horsham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shipley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Shipley (St. Mary))
Online maps of Shipley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: