Swettenham, a township and a parish in Cheshire. The township lies on the river Dane, 2 miles E of Holmes Chapel station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5 NW by W of Congleton. It has a post office under Congleton; money order and telegraph office, Holmes Chapel. Acreage, 1010; population, 171. Swettenham Hall is the chief residence. The parish contains also the townships of Kermincham and Davenport. Acreage, 3013; population, 423. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester; net value, £360 with residence. The church is on a very old foundation, and was rebuilt in 1720. A private Roman Catholic chapel stands in Swettenham Park.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Congleton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Swettenham from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Swettenham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.