Ringmer, a village and a parish in Sussex. The village stands 2½ miles NE of Lewes station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Lewes. Acreage of parish, 5739; population, 1497. Ringmer is supposed to have got its name by corruption of Regnimere, with allusion to the ancient Regnum; and was the place from which White of Selborne dated many of his letters. Broyle Place is an ancient mansion, supposed to have been built by one of the archbishops of Canterbury, but only a portion of it remains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is very ancient, and contains several brasses and numerous monuments; the tower was rebuilt in 1886. There is a Congregational chapel and several small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ringmer St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Chailey|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ringmer from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ringmer (St. Mary))
Online maps of Ringmer are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: