Plumpton, a village and a parish in Sussex. The village stands under the South Downs, with a station on the L.B. & S.C.R., 45 miles from London, and 4½ NW by W of Lewes. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Lewes. Acreage of parish, 2450; population, 468. There is a parish council of five members. The manor and much of the land belong to the Earl of Chichester. Plumpton Place, an old moated house, was the seat of the Mascalls, one of whom is said, in the time of Henry VIII., to have introduced the carp to England from the Danube, as well as the golden pippin apple. Plumpton Plains command a very fine view. Race meetings are held annually. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; net value, £210 with residence. The church has a tower and spire, and, with the chancel, has been restored. A new church and churchyard for the N end of the parish was consecrated in 1893.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Chailey|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Plumpton from the following:
Online maps of Plumpton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: