Piddinghoe, a parish in Sussex, on the river Ouse, 1½ mile NNW of Newhaven station on the L.B. & S.C.R. It has a post office under Lewes; money order and telegraph office, Newhaven. Acreage, 2347; population of the civil parish, 241; of the ecclesiastical, with Telscombe, 369. The manor belongs to the Earl of Sheffield. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Telscombe, in the diocese of Chichester; gross value, £300 with residence. The church consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with round tower and shingled spire, and was restored in 1882. A S aisle was added at the restoration on the old foundation.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newhaven|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Piddinghoe from the following:
Online maps of Piddinghoe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: