Poling, a parish in Sussex, 2½ miles NW of Angmering station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 2½ SE of Arundel. Post town, Arundel. Acreage, 791; population of the civil parish,. 178; of the ecclesiastical, 196. A commandery of the Knights of St John was near the Poling Cross Roads, and has been converted into a dwelling-house. Extensive Roman remains were discovered in the neighbourhood in 1819. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester; net value, £130 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Chichester. The church is ancient, has a tower, and was well restored in 1875. The chancel contains a brass to the memory of Walter Davey, vicar of Poling, supposed to have lived early in the fourteenth century.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Poling from the following:
Online maps of Poling are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: