Parham, a parish in Sussex, under the Downs, 3 miles S by E of Pulborough station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 5½ NNE of Arundel. Post town, Pulborough; money order and telegraph office, Storington. Acreage, 1284; population, 58. Parham House was built early in the 16th century by Sir T. Palmer; passed in 1597 to the Bisshopp family; is now the seat of Lord Zouche; exhibits interesting Tudor architecture with some modern additions; includes a gallery 158 feet long; contains a rich collection of portraits, pictures, armour, and articles of vertu; and stands in a rich park well stocked with deer. A cell to Glastonbury Abbey was once in the parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; net value, £90 with residence. Patron, Lord Zouche. The church is later English, has a small tower, and contains a curious leaden font.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Parham St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Thakeham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Parham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Parham (St. Peter))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: