UK Genealogy Archives logo

Pagham, Sussex

Historical Description

Pagham, a village and a parish in Sussex. The village stands on the coast, 3½ miles WSW of Bognor station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 4 SSE of Chichester. It has a post office under Bognor; money order and telegraph office, Sidlesham. The parish contains also the hamlets of Lagness and Rosegreen, and includes the tithings of Aldwick, South Mundham, and Nytimber. Acreage, 3886; population, 887. It has a parish council consisting of nine members. Aldwick Place is the seat of the Grant family. The old harbour was reclaimed some years ago. An extraordinary feature at the mouth of it is the marvellous accumulation of sand and shingle, covering 50 or 60 acres. The reclaimed land is now farmed by the Harbour Company. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester; gross value, £220 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is Early English, and comprises nave and chancel, with tower and spire. An archiepiscopal palace stood a little SE of the church, and has left some indistinct remains. There is a coastguard station.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySussex 
Ecclesiastical parishPagham St. Thomas à Becket 
HundredAldwick 
Poor Law unionWest Hampnett 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Pagham from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Pagham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online:

DistrictArun
CountyWest Sussex
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtPO21
Post TownBognor Regis