Sutton (Prestbury), Cheshire
Sutton, Sutton Higher, or Sutton Downs, a township and two ecclesiastical parishes in Prestbury parish, Cheshire. The township is partly in Macclesfield borough, extends 4 miles SSE of Macclesfield, and contains a suburb of that town and the village of Langley. Acreage, 5456; population, 6366. The manor belongs to the Queen. There are many handsome villa residences. The township shares in the manufactures of Macclesfield. The ecclesiastical parishes are St George and St James, and were constituted, the former in 1835, the latter in 1860. Population, 5060 and 1306. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of Chester; net value of St George, £304 with residence; gross value of St James, £140 with residence. St George's Church is in Macclesfield, and was originally a dissenting chapel. St James' Church is near Lane Ends, was built in 1840, and is in the Early English style. There are New Connexion and Wesleyan chapels at Langley.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Macclesfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sutton (Prestbury) from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.