North Marden, Sussex
Marden, North, a parish in Sussex, 4 miles from Rogate station on the L. & S.W.R., and 10 SW by W of Midhurst. Post town, Chichester; money order and telegraph office, Harting. Acreage, 697; population, 39. The manor is one of the four Meredens mentioned in Domesday book; was given after the Conquest to Roger, Earl Montgomery; belonged in 1475 to Sir George Browne; went at his attainder in 1484 to the Crown; was given by Queen Elizabeth to William Grenefield; passed to the Jenmans, the Peckhams, and the Phippses; and belongs now to the Hornby family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; value, £80. The church is pure Norman, with circular E end, and has been restored. 21MARESFIELD
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Westbourn and Singleton|
|Poor Law union||West Bourne|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Marden from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Marden, North)
Online maps of North Marden are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: