Laughton, a village and a parish in Sussex. The village stands 4½ miles from Berwick station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 6 ENE of Lewes. It has a post and money order office-under Shortgate; telegraph office, Ringmer. Acreage of parish, 5170; population, 723. The manor belongs to the Earl of Cbichester, and includes nearly the whole of the six parishes of Shiplake hundred. Laughton Place has belonged to the-Pelhams since the beginning of the 15th century, was built in 1534, and is now a farmhouse. The moat encircles about 3 acres. Laughton Lodge is the seat of the Duke family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester; gross value, £206 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Chichester. The church consists of nave and chancel, in good condition, and was the burial-place of the Pelham family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hailsham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Laughton from the following:
Online maps of Laughton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: