Lower Beeding, Sussex
Beeding, Lower, is an extensive parish in Sussex, in St Leonard's Forest, 4½ miles from Horsham station on the L.B. & S.C.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 10,153; population of the civil parish, 1284; of the ecclesiastical, 799. There are several good residences. Crabtree Hall was erected in 1875 as a village hall and a workmen's club, and contains a good library. The lands of Bewbush and Holmbush belong to Colgate, a district of Lower Beeding. Holmbush Beacon Tower, 106 feet high, is visible for many miles round. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester; net value, £108 with residence. The church was built in 1839, and enlarged in 1864. There is a chapel of ease dedicated to St John the Baptist, beautifully situated in St Leonard's Forest.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Beeding St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Horsham|
|Poor Law union||Steyning|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lower Beeding from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Beeding, Lower)
Online maps of Lower Beeding are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: