Lodsworth, a parish in Sussex, near the river Bother, 3½ miles NE of Midhurst station on the L.B. & S.C.B. It contains the hamlet of Lickfold, and has a post and money order office under Petworth; telegraph office, Selham. Acreage, 2442; population of the civil parish, 645; of the ecclesiastical, 592. The manor belonged anciently to the Bishop of London; was then a liberty, enjoying certain exemptions; was given by Henry VIII. to Sir Anthony Browne; and belongs now to the Earl of Egmont. Blackdown House, an old Elizabethan mansion, is in the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester; value, £70 with residence. The church is ancient; comprises nave, aisles, transepts, and chancel, with a tower. The nave has a kind of open cloister of timber-work, and has been restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lodsworth St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Midhurst|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lodsworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lodsworth (St. Peter))
Online maps of Lodsworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: