Linch or Lynch, a parish in Sussex, 4½ miles N by W of Midhurst station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Midhnrst. Acreage, 850; population of the civil parish, 98; of the ecclesiastical, 290. The manor was known at Domesday as Lince, belonged then to Mr Ulric, passed to Viscount Montague, afterwards to Mr W. S. Poyntz, and belongs now to the Earl of Egmont. A detached tract, called Linch Farm and Cottages, lies near Bepton, and has been added to the parish of Bepton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; value, £110 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Egmont. The church is a plain building, mainly of about the year 1700, and was restored in 1886. There is a village club, with reading-room and a small library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Midhurst|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Linch from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: