Jevington, a parish in Sussex, among the South Down Hills, 3 miles NW of Eastbourne, and 3 SW by S of Polegate station on the L.B. & S.C.R. It has a post office under Polegate; money order and telegraph office, Polegate. Acreage, 2395; population of the civil parish, 278; of the ecclesiastical, 237. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is ancient but good, and has some features which are debateably Saxon or Norman; built into the wall above the inner doorway of the church is an oblong stone slab, found on a stone chest in the church in 1873, and carved in relief with a figure supposed to be that of a Crusader. The church has been thoroughly restored. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Jevington St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Eastbourne|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Jevington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Jevington (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Jevington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: