Iford, a parish in Sussex, near the river Ouse, under the Downs, 2 miles S by W of Lewes station on the L.B. & S.C.R. It has a post office under Lewes; money order and telegraph office, Lewes. Acreage, 2200; population of the civil parish, 183; of the ecclesiastical, 300. The great tithes belong to the Eossiters. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Kingston-near-Lewes, in the diocese of Chichester; value, £315 with residence. The church is Norman and Early English, has been restored, and has a low square central tower, with shingled spire. Swanborough, half a mile NWof the church, is an old farmhouse, with considerable remains of Early English and Early Perpendicular architecture; includes a quondam chapel, and was a grange of the priory of St Pancras, Lewes. The manor house and Oatlands are chief residences.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Iford St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Newhaven|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Iford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Iford (St. Nicholas))
Online maps of Iford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: