Houghton, a parish in Sussex, on the river Arun, half a mile WSW of Amberley station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 3½ miles N of Arnndel. Post town, Arundel; money order and telegraph office, Amberley. Acreage, 1826; population of the civil parish, 174; of the ecclesiastical, 833. Houghton Hill commands a fine view to the sea. Barrows are on heights in the W. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Amberley, in the diocese of Chichester. Patron, the Bishop of Chichester. The church is an edifice in the Early English style. There is a small Roman Catholic chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Houghton from the following:
Online maps of Houghton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: