Horsted Keynes, Sussex
Horsted Keynes, a village and a parish in Sussex. The village stands 6 miles NE by E of Cuckfield, and has a junction station on the L.B. & S.C.R., 37 from London. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under East Grinstead, is picturesquely situated and much frequented by visitors. The parish includes part of Dane Hill chapelry, and comprises 4232 acres; population of the civil parish, 932; of the ecclesiastical, 792. The manor belongs to Viscount Hampden. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; value, £380 with residence. The church is Early English and cruciform, with central tower and spire, and contains a cross-legged effigies 2½ feet long, and monuments of the Wyatts; the building was thoroughly restored in 1884. The churchyard contains the grave of Archbishop Leighton, who resided here during the last ten years of his life, and over the grave a tombstone was erected in 1857. There are a Baptist chapel and a village reading-room.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Horsted-Keynes St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Cuckfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Horsted Keynes from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Horsted-Keynes (St. Giles))
Online maps of Horsted Keynes are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: