UK Genealogy Archives logo

Heyshott, Sussex

Historical Description

Heyshott, a parish in Sussex, near the river Rother, and 2 miles from Cocking station on the L.B. & S.C.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Midhurst. Acreage, 2184; population, 393. The manor belonged to William de Percy, Earl of Montgomery, descended to the Earls of Northumberland, passed in the time of Henry VIII. to Sir William Fitzwilliam, and in 1761 to the Earl of Egremont. Part of the surface is downs, and there are vestiges of a Roman camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; value, £230 with residence. The church is Decorated and Later English, and has been restored. There is a small village club.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySussex 
HundredEasebourne 
Poor Law unionSutton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Heyshott from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Heyshott are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online:

DistrictChichester
CountyWest Sussex
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtGU29
Post TownMidhurst