Haywards Heath, Sussex
Haywards Heath, a town and an ecclesiastical parish formed out of Cuckfield parish in Sussex, with a large and important station on the L.B. & S.C.R., 38 miles from London and 12 from Brighton, branch lines communicating with Lewes and East Grinstead, and a post, money order, and telegraph office. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 2452. The town is governed by a local board of nine members. The church, dedicated to St Wilfrid, from whom the ecclesiastical parish takes its name, is a stone building in the Gothic style, erected in 1865. It contains some fine stained glass windows. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chi-chester; gross value, £212 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Cnckfield. There are a small iron church, and Congregational, Methodist, and Baptist chapels. The Augnstiniau priory of Our Lady of Good Counsel for canonesses regular of Lateran was established July, 1886, for the education of Roman Catholic girls of the higher class, and is conducted by the canonesses. There is a church in connection -with the priory. The Home of the Holy Cross (Church of England) is used as a children's home in connection with the rescue work of the sisterhood. The court-house and county police station were erected in 1887. Large cattle sales are held. The town has a good hotel, two banks, and assembly-rooms. The Sussex County Lunatic Asylum is about a mile from Haywards Heath railway station. It is a large building of brick, and has accommodation for about 900 inmates.
Online maps of Haywards Heath are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: