Hardham, a parish in Sussex, on Stane Street and the river Arnn, and 1 mile SSW of Pnlborough station on the L.B. & S.C.R. Post town, Pulborough, under Petworth; money order and telegraph office, Pulborough. Acreage, 956; population, 124. A priory of Black Canons was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by Sir William Dawtry, and some arches and mouldings of it, in transition Norman, still exist, and the court-room and crypt. A Roman entrenchment, about 400 feet square, on Stane Street, is opposite the priory. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; gross value, £70. Patron, the Bishop of Chichester. The church is small but of good proportions, and interesting. Very early frescoes cover the walls. The chancel-arch is Norman, and the windows Early English.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hardham St. Botolph|
|Poor Law union||Thakeham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hardham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hardham (St. Botolph))
Online maps of Hardham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: