East Hoathly, Sussex
Hoathly, East, or Easthotbly, a village and a parish in Sussex. The village stands about 4¼ miles SE by S of Uckfield station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 7 NW of Hailsham. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. The parish contains also the hamlets of Grey Wood and Halland (the late Nursery). Acreage, 2622; population, 882. The manor, with much of the land, belongs to the Earl of Chichester. Halland House, once the seat of the Pelham family, stood on the S border, and now partly taken down, is partly a farmhouse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chiches- ter; net value, £215 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Abergavenny. The old church was chiefly Later English, and was, with the exception of the tower, taken down in 1856. The present church was erected afterwards, and is a neat edifice of nave, aisles, chancel, and porch. There are Wesleyan and Baptist chapels, and a mission-room in connection with the church, at Halland.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Uckfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Hoathly from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hoathly, East)
Online maps of East Hoathly are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: