UK Genealogy Archives logo

East Dean (Eastbourne), Sussex

Historical Description

Dean, East, a parish in Sussex, on the coast near Beachy Head, 3½ miles WSW of Eastbourne station on the L.B. & S.C.R. It has a post and telegraph office under Eastbourne; money order office, Eastbourne. Area, 2168 acres of land, and 177 of water; population of the civil parish, 268; of the ecclesiastical, 360. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Friston, in the diocese of Chichester; value, £213 with residence. Patrons, the Bishop and Dean and Chapter of Chichester alternately. The church is good. A working men's institute and reading-room was erected in 1884.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySussex 
HundredWillington 
Poor Law unionEastbourne 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for East Dean (Eastbourne) from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: