East Wittering, Sussex
Wittering, East, a parish in Sussex, on the coast, 7 miles from Chichester station on the L.B. & S.C.R. Post town, West Wittering, under Chichester. Acreage, 1141 of land and 177 of foreshore; population, 214. Much land has been carried away by the sea. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; net value, £120 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of London. The church is a small building of stone in the Norman style, and was restored in 1877. 341
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||West Hampnett|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Wittering from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wittering, East)
Online maps of East Wittering are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: