Crowhurst, a parish in Sussex, 2½ miles S of Battle station on the S.E.R. It has a post office under Battle (S.O.); money order and telegraph office. Battle. Acreage, 2168; population, 446. The manor belonged to Harold in the time of Edward the Confessor; was held by Walter de Scotney in the time of Henry III.; and passed to the Pelhams. Remains exist of a manor-house in Late Early English architecture, supposed to have been built by Walter de Scotney. Crowhurst Park was long the seat of the Pelhams, and is now the seat of the Papillon family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; value, £210 with residence. The church was partly rebuilt in 1794, and is very good. A yew tree in the churchyard is 37 feet in girth at base and 27½ feet at 6 feet from the ground. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a working men's club.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Crowhurst St. George|
|Poor Law union||Battle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Crowhurst from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Crowhurst (St. George))
Online maps of Crowhurst are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: