Stoke or Stoak, Cheshire
Stoke or Stoak, a township and a parish in Cheshire. The township lies on the Shropshire Union Canal, 3 miles NE of Mollington station on the Birkenhead railway, and 5 N by E of Chester. Post town, Chester; money order and telegraph office, Ellesmere Port. Acreage, 653; population, 78. The parish contains also Great and Little Stanney townships, and part of Whitby. Population, 469. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £96 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church was restored in 1827.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Great Boughton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stoke or Stoak from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Stoke or Stoak are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.