Barcombe, a parish in Sussex, situated on the river Ouse, 4 miles N of Lewes, with two stations, one on the East Grinstead branch of the L.B. & S.C.R., close to the village, called Barcombe station; the other, called Barcombe Mills, on the Uckfield branch, and about a mile from the village. Acreage, 5032; population, 1068. There is a post and money order office in the village, and a telegraph office at the railway station. Conyboro' and Barcombe Place and Sutton Hall are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; net value, £484 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. There are two churches— St Mary's, the old parish church, which was restored and enlarged in 1879, on what has probably been the site of the parish church for 1000 years; and St Bartholomew's, a chapel of ease, built in 1878. There is a reading room with a good library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Barcombe St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Chailey|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barcombe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Barcombe (St. Mary))
Online maps of Barcombe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: