Stalybridge, a town and a municipal and parliamentary borough in Cheshire. The town stands on the river Tame, at a meeting point of the L. & N.W.R., the M.S. & L.R., and the L. & Y.R., 7½ miles E of Manchester, 8 NE of Stockport, and 185 from London. It has a head post office and stations on the railways. The Huddersfield and Manchester Canal passes through the centre of the town. Stalybridge became early a great seat of the cotton manufacture. It was made a municipal borough in 1857, and the borough was enlarged in 1881 by the incorporation of Millbrook. The municipal borough is divided into four wards, Dukinfield, Lancashire, Millbrook, and Stayley, and is governed by a mayor, 8 aldermen, and 24 councillors. It has a commission of the peace and a police force. Acreage, 3135; population, 26,783. It was made a parliamentary borough in 1867; population, 44,135. Stalybridge occupies a hilly site on both banks of the Tame, under a mountain 1300 feet high, with much picturesque scenery in the neighbourhood, and has outskirts and environs adorned with handsome residences and tasteful grounds. It carries on extensive industry in numerous cotton mills, in some woollen mills, in machine works, in foundries, and in cut and wrought nail works. Markets are held on Saturdays, and fairs on the last Monday in each month. The Town Hall was built in 1831, and enlarged in 1886, and contains a large assembly-room, a council-chamber, a court-room, borough and police offices, and the free library. The market buildings were erected in 1867 at a cost of £9000, have a frontage of 107 feet toward Melbourne Street, and a clock tower 64 feet high. The Mechanics' Institute was built in 1861, and contains newsrooms, library, class-rooms, and a large hall used as a technical school with capacity for more than 1000 persons. Other buildings are the Foresters' Hall, the Oddfellows' Hall, the Liberal Club, the Public Baths, and the District Infirmary. There are two banks, and two weekly newspapers are published. The ecclesiastical parish of Old St George's, Cocker Hill, has a population of 2712. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester; gross value, £400. The church was built in 1776 as a chapel of ease to Ashton-under-Lyne, and was rebuilt in 1888. The ecclesiastical parish of New St George's was constituted in 1847. Population, 3505. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester; gross value, £320. Patron, the Rector of Ashton-under-Lyne. The church is in the Early English style. The church of St John was built in 1841, and is in the Early English style. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Stockport. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1841; population, 11,174. The ecclesiastical parish of Christ Church was constituted in 1880. Population, 4855. The church was erected in 1878. The ecclesiastical parish of Holy Trinity, Castle Hall, was constituted in 1846. Population, 6277. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester; net value, £200. The church was erected in 1852, and is in the Perpendicular style. The ecclesiastical parishes of St Paul, Stayley, and Millbrook, are noticed under STAYLEY. There are Roman Catholic, Baptist, Congregational, New Connexion, and Primitive Methodist, Unitarian, and Wesleyan chapels. Stamford Park, partly in Stalybridge and partly in Ashton-under-Lyne, and the joint property of the two corporations, was opened in 1873, and comprises 64 acres. It contains a valuable museum, situated in Highfield House, an old Elizabethan mansion. In 1894 a large lake was opened in the park grounds, on which there is a steam launch and rowing boats, which are extensively patronised during the summer months. The lake is also used for skating in winter. There is also what is locally known as the " Big Sing," held in the park on a Sunday afternoon in June, at which the bands and choirs in the borough give their services gratuitously for the benefit of the charities of the borough. Eastwood, the Priory, Gorse Hall, Woodfield, Staveleigh, and holme Lea are the chief residences in the environs.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Ashton under Lyne|
|Poor Law union||Ashton-under-Lyne|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stalybridge from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.