Burpham, a parish in Sussex, on the river Arun, 2 miles NE by E of Arundel station on the L.B. & S.C.R., to which a new road was constructed in 1882. Post town, Arundel. Acreage, 2725; population, 280. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester; gross value, £163 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chichester. The church is partly Norman, restored in 1873.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Burpham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Preston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Burpham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Burpham (St. Mary))
Online maps of Burpham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: