Barlavington, locally known as Barltun, a parish in Sussex, near the river Arun, 2½ miles S of Pctworth station on the L.B. & S.C.R. Post town, Pulborough; money order office, Sutton; telegraph office, Fittleworth. Acreage, 1146; population, 176. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Burton House, a fine residence, is in the parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Sutton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barlavington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Barlavington)
Online maps of Barlavington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: