Arlington, a parish in Sussex, on the river Cuckmere, 1 mile NE of Berwick station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 4 SW by W of Hailsham. It has a post office under Polegate; money order office, Upper Dicker; telegraph office, Berwick station. Acreage, 5231; population of the civil parish, 648; of the ecclesiastical, 451. The Roman Anderida Sylva occupied all the surface, and the Roman camp of Burlow Castle is in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester; value, £208. Patron, the Bishop of London. The Dicker perpetual curacy is a separate benefice.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Arlington St. Pancras|
|Poor Law union||Hailsham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Arlington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Arlington (St. Pancras))
Online maps of Arlington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: