UK Genealogy Archives logo

Alfriston, Sussex

Historical Description

Alfriston, a village and a parish in Sussex. The village stands on the Cuckmere river, 2¼ miles S of Berwick station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 8 SE of Lewes. It has a post and money order office under Polegate; telegraph office, Berwick station. Area of the parish, 2445 acres; population, 585. The name is a corruption of Alfred's Town, and points to ancient entrenchments in the neighbourhood formed by King Alfred. Alfriston formerly had two fairs. The Star Inn, a building about 360 years old, contains some curious sculptures. The manor belonged anciently to Michel-ham Priory. Two fine varieties of apples, one of them called the Alfriston apple, are grown. Roman coins and Anglo-Saxon sceattas have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chicbester; net value, £150. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church, cruciform of 14th century, is Perpendicular in style, and has stone sedilia, piscina, and an ancient tomb. There is a Congregationalist chapel, and in the centre of the village a market cross. Near the church is a 14th century half-timbered cottage, known as the old pre-Reformation vicarage, which has been restored, and is used as the village reading-room.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySussex 
Ecclesiastical parishAlfriston St. Andrew 
HundredAlceston 
Poor Law unionEastbourne 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Alfriston from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Alfriston are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online:

DistrictWealden
CountyEast Sussex
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtBN26
Post TownPolegate