UK Genealogy Archives logo

Alciston, Sussex

Historical Description

Alciston, a parish and a hundred in Sussex, 2 miles S of Berwick station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 6½ SE of Lewes. The money order office is at Alfriston; telegraph office at Berwick railway station. Acreage, 2090; population, 204. The manor belonged anciently to the Abbot of Battle. The village lies at the foot of the Downs. The living is a vicarage, united to Selmeston, in the diocese of Chichester. The church shows features of Norman and of Early English, and is in tolerable condition. The hundred of Alciston is in the rape of Pevensey, and comprises the parishes of Alciston, Alfriston, and Lullington. Some remains of a monastic house may be traced in the buildings of the Court House farm. The large barn near the church deserves attention- also the Columbarium of the monastery, which stands in the farmyard.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySussex 
HundredAlceston 
Poor Law unionWest Firle 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Alciston from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Alciston are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online:

DistrictWealden
CountyEast Sussex
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtBN26
Post TownPolegate