Aldingbourne, a parish in Sussex, 2½ miles from Barnham station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 4 E of Chichester, under which it has a post and money order office; the telegraph office is Barnham Junction. Acreage, 3098; population, 798. It contains the hamlets of Norton-Lidsey and Westergate. Aldingbourne House was a seat of the Howards. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester; value, £225. Patron, the Bishop of Chichester. There was a Saxon church, and there are traces of Saxon work in the walls. The present church was built in 1180, and restored in 1889. The chancel is Early English. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Westergate.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Aldingbourne St. Mary|
|Hundred||Box and Stockbridge|
|Poor Law union||West Hampnett|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aldingbourne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Aldingbourne (St. Mary))
Online maps of Aldingbourne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: