Witherslack, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Beetham parish, Westmorland, on the river Winster, 6 miles N by E of Grange-over-Sands railway station, and 10 SW of Kendal. There is a post and telegraph office under Grange-over-Sands (R.S.O); money order office, Grange-over-Sands. Acreage of township, 4586 of land and 365 of water and foreshore; population, 462. The ecclesiastical parish includes the township of Meathop and Ulpha. Population, 562. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The Earl of Derby is lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £229 with residence. The church consists of nave and embattled western tower. Barwick's charity was founded here in 1664 by Dean Barwick and his brother Peter, both natives, and yields £580 a year for the vicar, the school founded by them, and other purposes.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Witherslack from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Witherslack)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.