Winster, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in the ancient parish of Kendal, Westmorland, on the rivulet Winster, 44 miles S by E of Windermere railway station, with a post office under Windermere; money order and telegraph office, Bowness. Population, 100. Under the Local Government Act of 1894, Winster with an outlying portion of Windermere and Crook was formed into a district named Undermillbeck, and has a parish council of five members. The Earl of Lonsdale is lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £180 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The church, erected in 1874 to replace a former one, is a building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, N porch, and bell-turret.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Winster from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Winster)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.