Warcop, a village and a parish in Westmorland, on the river Eden, 3 miles WNW of Brough, and 5 SE of Appleby. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Penrith, and a railway station on a section of the N.E.R. The parish comprises the small villages of Bleatarn, Burton, and Sandford. Acreage, 11,494; population, 652. The manor belonged anciently to the Warcops, and passed to the Braithwaites, the Stephensons, and the Prestons. Warcop Hall, a fine mansion picturesquely situated, is the seat of the Preston family. A castle of the Warcops stood at Castle Hill, and was used as a quarry for building Kirkby Stephen church. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £216 with residence. The church is an ancient building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, rebuilt in 1855, nave, S aisle, transepts, and bell-turret, and contains several stained glass memorial windows. There are also Wesleyan and Wesleyan Association chapels, a small cemetery formed in 1882, and a reading-room and library erected in 1877. There is a chapel of ease at Bleatarn.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Warcop St. Columba|
|Poor Law union||East ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Warcop from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Warcop (St. Columba))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.