Underbarrow and Bradley Field, Westmorland
Underbarrow and Bradley Field, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Kendal parish, Westmorland, 3¼ miles W of Kendal railway station. There is a post and money order office at Underbarrow under Kendal; telegraph office, Kendal. Acreage of township, 5122; population, 466. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Underbarrow Scar is a remarkable ridgy height with precipitous escarpments, and commands a very brilliant view of the Furness sea-board and of Morecambe Bay. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £140 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The church is a cruciform building in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, transepts, S porch, and octagonal tower with spire. Cunswick Hall, formerly the property of the Leyburns, is now a farmhouse.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Underbarrow and Bradley Field from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Underbarrow)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.