Stainmore, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Brough parish, Westmorland, on the river Augill, 1 mile W of Barras station on the N.E.R., and 3 to 6 miles ESE of Brough. Post town, Kirkby Stephen; money order and telegraph office, Brough. Population of the township, 507; of the ecclesiastical parish, 376. Stainmore Forest extends into Kirkby Stephen and Bowes parishes, includes Black Hill, 1500 feet high, is traversed by Watling Street, and contains Rey Cross and a Roman camp. Lead ore was formerly worked. The ecclesiastical parish of South Stainmore includes the hamlets of Ewbank, Oxenthwaite, Strice Gill, Slip Inn, and Rampson. The living of St Stephen, South Stainmore, is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £111 with residence. Patron, Lord Hothfield. The church was rebuilt in 1842, is in the Gothic style, and consists of nave and western turret. There are also a church at North Stainmore (a chapel of ease to Brough), erected in 1873, two Primitive Methodist chapels, and an endowment of £43 a year for the schools.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||East ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stainmore from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stainmore)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.