Soulby, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Kirkby Stephen parish, Westmorland, on the river Eden, 2½ miles NW of Kirkby Stephen, and 2 from Crosby Garrett station on the M.R. There is a post and money order office under Kirkby Stephen; telegraph office, Crosby Garrett. Acreage, 2644; population, 253. Sir R. Musgrave, Bart., is lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £215 with residence. The church is a small building in the Early English style, and was reseated and restored in 1873, and there is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Kirkby Stephen|
|Poor Law union||East ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Soulby from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.