Selside, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Westmorland. The township lies 4 miles from Kendal station on the L. & N.W.R., and bears the name of Selside and Whitwell. Acreage, 3375 of land and 13 of water; population, 202. The manor belongs to the Bagot family of Levens. The ecclesiastical parish also includes the township of Fawcett Forest. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office at Kendal or Burneside. Population, 244. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £172 with residence. The church, in the Gothic style, was built probably about 1709. Rebuilt in 1838, it was thoroughly restored in 1893, and a western tower in the 15th century style added in 1894. There is an endowed school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Selside from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Selside)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.