Preston Patrick, Westmorland
Preston Patrick, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Burton-in-Kendal parish, Westmorland, on the river Beetha, 3 miles NE of Milnthorpe railway station. Post town, Milnthorpe; money order and telegraph office. End Moor. Acreage of township, 3657; population, 782. The manor belongs to the Earl of Lonsdale. There are corn mills. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1873. Population, 1342, which was partly composed of navvies engaged in constructing the Thirlmere Waterworks. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church is a modern building in the Late Perpendicular style, and consists of a chancel rebuilt in 1892, nave, N aisle, S porch, and an embattled western tower. There is an endowed school founded in 1776.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Burton In Kendal|
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Preston Patrick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Preston-Patrick)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.