Patterdale, a village and a township, forming with Hartsop an ecclesiastical parish, in Barton parish, Westmorland. The village stands half a mile from the influx of Goldrill Beck to the head of Ulleswater, 8 miles N of Ambleside, and 9 S of Troutbeck station on the Cockermouth, Keswick, and Penrith railway; got its name by corruption of St Patrick's Dale; commands delightful and romantic excursions by lake and by land; and has post, money order, and telegraph offices at Patterdale and Glenridding under Penrith, several lodging-houses, and three good hotels. Acreage of township, 16,104; population, 826. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor was given in 1247 to Robert de Lancastre. Patterdale Hall was formerly the residence of the Mounseys, popularly styled Kings' of Patterdale, and is now the seat of the Marshall family-Patterdale proper is a mountain vale, descending 5¼ miles northward from Kirkstone Pass to the head of Ulleswater; is traversed from head to foot by Goldrill Beck; contains. near the S end the tarn of Brothers Water; receives on the right side the streamlets descending from Hays Water and Angletarn-on the left side the streamlets traversing Deepdale and Grisedale; exhibits a changeful and rich succession of romantic views; and opens at the foot of Deepdale in a grand panorama, surrounded by picturesque mountain summits. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £135 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is a modern edifice in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, and tower. Near the church is a well named after St Patrick, who is supposed to have baptized several of the inhabitants of the dale here.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||West ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Patterdale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Patterdale, with Hartsop)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.