Over Staveley, Westmorland
Over Staveley, a township in Staveley parish, Westmorland, a quarter of a mile from Staveley station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5 miles NW of Kendal. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Staveley, under Kendal. Acreage, 2580; population, 885. The parish church of St James, in this township, is in the Early English sty Ie,'and was built in 1864-65; it consists of chancel, nave, S porch, and a turret with small spire, and contains several stained glass windows. There are also Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels, a working men's institute, drill hall, two banks, and bobbin and woollen mills.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Over Staveley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Staveley, Over)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.