Old Hutton with Holmescales, Westmorland
Hutton, Old, with Holmescales, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Kendal parish, Westmorland, on the river Belo, 2½ miles SSE of Oxenhoime railway station, and 44 SE by S of Kendal. The township includes the hamlet of Holmescales, and has a post office under Kendal; money order and telegraph office, Endmoor. Acreage, 3975, of which 65 are water; population of township, 357; of ecclesiastical parish, 306. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value,, £161. Patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The church was rebuilt in 1699, and again in 1873, and has a bell-turret. There is an endowed school, founded in 1613, with a library attached, and several charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Old Hutton with Holmescales from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hutton, Old)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.