Natland, a village and a township in Kendal parish, Westmorland. The village stands adjacent to the Kendal and Lancaster Canal, near the river Kent, three-quarters of a mile SSW of Oxenhoime station on the L. & N.W.R., and 2½ S by E of Kendal. It has a post office under Kendal; money order and telegraph office, Sedgwick. Acreage of township, 1155; population, 464; of the ecclesiastical parish, 471. Helm Lodge is a chief residence. Water Crook, at a bend of the river Kent, was the site of the Roman station Galacnm; and altars, coins, and other relics have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £174 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The church was rebuilt in 1825 and enlarged in 1878, It consists of chancel, nave, and an embattled western tower. A home for waifs and strays was founded in 1882, and new buildings were erected in 1884.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Natland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Natland)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.