Morland, a village, a township, and a parish in Westmorland. The village stands near the river Lyvennet, 2 miles SE of Cliburn railway station, and 6½ NW by W of Appleby, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Penrith. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Acreage, 1760; population, 335. The parish contains also the townships of Thrimby, Little Striek-land, Great Strickland, Newby, Sleagill, and Kings Meaburn, and the chapelry of Bolton. Population of the civil parish, 1604; of the ecclesiastical, 844. There is a parish council consisting of six members. Thrimby, with Great and Little Strickland, were formed into a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1870. The manor belonged anciently to Ivo de Talebois, was given in part by his grandson to St Mary's Abbey at York, and belongs now to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Buley Castle, now a ruin, was an episcopal residence. Several old mansions are now farmhouses. Some monastic buildings existed in connection with St Mary's at York, and have left some traces. There are corn and saw mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £292 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church includes portions as early as the time of Henry II., was materially altered in the 18th century, is large, cruciform, and good, has a tower with low spire, and contains a brass of 1562, and a tablet to Lieut.-General F. Markham. The livings of Thrimby and Bolton-in-Morland are separate benefices. There are a "Wesleyan chapel, a Friends' meeting-house, a village library, and a school with an endowment of about £30.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Morland St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||West ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Morland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Morland (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.