Milburn and Milburn Grange, Westmorland
Milburn and Milburn Grange, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Kirkby Thore parish, Westmorland, on the Maiden Way, adjacent to Cumberland, 3 miles N of Kirkby Thore railway station, and 6¼ NNW of Appleby. Post town, Newbiggin (R.S.O.), under Carlisle. Acreage, 7957; population, 229. A large portion of the surface is moor-like mountain, called Milburn Fells or Milburn Forest, extending eastward along the boundary with Cumberland to the vicinity of the meeting-point with Durham. Traces of an ancient British camp are at Green Castle, and a Roman altar has been found. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £184. Patron, Lord Hothfield. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The church is of the early part of the 14th century, and is dedicated to St Cnthbert. It was restored in 1894, and a Norman doorway on the S side has been reopened.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Kirkby Thore|
|Poor Law union||East ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Milburn and Milburn Grange from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Milburn)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.