Middleton, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Kirkby Lonsdale parish, Westmorland, on the river Lune, and on the Ingleton branch of the N.W.R., 2¼ miles W of the boundary with Yorkshire, and 5 N by E of Kirkby Lonsdale. There is a station on the railway, and a post office, of the name of Middleton-in-Lonsdale, under Kirkby Lonsdale; money order and telegraph office, Barbon. Acreage, 7276, including 68 of water; population, 255. Middleton Hall belonged to the Askews, and became ruinous. Grimes Hill is a chief residence. Much of the land is moor and mountain. A battle is said to have been fought between the English and the Scots near the old bridge. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £163 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Kirkby Lonsdale. The church was built in 1634, and rebuilt in 1879. It is in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel and nave, with a central bell turret. There are an endowed school and other charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Kirkby Lonsdale|
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Middleton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Middleton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.